Today, Sony Ericsson announced software upgrade for its all 2011 Xperia smartphone models including those already in consumers hands to Android 2.3.4. The upgrade will allow consumers to enjoy the complete benefits of the Android Gingerbread platform including Google Talk with Video Chat.
Following new features are added to upgrade:
- Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras
- Like, share and discover on Facebook in a faster, easier and more intuitive way.
- 3D sweep panorama technology so that images can be captured and then viewed in 3D by connecting the phone to a 3D TV using the HDMI output.
- Turn your Xperia smartphone into a mini-mobile PC by connecting USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard or game controller) to Sony Ericsson LiveDock multimedia station.
- Swipe text input - text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next
- Screen capture – allows the user to share a screen grab from anywhere in the phone
“With this software upgrade, we are bringing a wealth of new and really entertaining experiences to all our 2011 Xperia™ smartphones, including those already in consumers’ hands today,”said Nikolaus Scheurer, Head of Product Marketing at Sony Ericsson. “Our users will get to enjoy new features from Google, an even richer Facebook integration, and enhanced camera functionality from Sony.”
Xperia™ neo V will be the first smartphone to launch with the new software and will include all the features like Google Talk with Video Chat, 3D sweep panorama and enhanced Facebook inside Xperia™ functionality.
The software upgrade will be roll out starting from October 2011 in selct market. Xperia owners will receive a notification instructing them to instantaneously download the software over the air via 3G or WiFi. Alternatively, they will have the option to connect to a computer and download it via PC companion.